Please forward this rovinj tourist map pdf screen to phosphorus. This section relies largely or entirely on a single source. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Northwards of Slovenian Istria, there is a tiny portion of the peninsula that lies in Italy.
The Sečovlje Saltworks in northern Istria were probably started in antiquity and were first mentioned in 804 in the report on Placitum of Riziano. The warmest places are Pula and Rovinj, while the coldest is Pazin. A leaflet from the period of Fascist Italianization, prohibiting the public use of the “Slav language” on the streets of Vodnjan in south-western Istria. The Histri are classified in some sources as a “Venetic” Illyrian tribe, with certain linguistic differences from other Illyrians. Ancient folktales reported—inaccurately—that the Danube split in two or “bifurcated” and came to the sea near Trieste as well as at the Black Sea.
The story of the “bifurcation of the Danube” is part of the Argonaut legend. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the region was pillaged by the Goths, the Eastern Roman Empire, and the Avars. Istrian towns and castles and the deputies of Charlemagne and his son Pepin. The report about this judicial diet illustrates the changes accompanying the transfer of power from the Eastern Roman Empire to the Carolingian Empire and the discontent of the local residents.
The coastal areas and cities of Istria came under Venetian Influence in the 9th century. On 15 February 1267, Parenzo was formally incorporated with the Venetian state. Other coastal towns followed shortly thereafter. Bajamonte Tiepolo was sent away from Venice in 1310, to start a new life in Istria after his downfall. Holy Roman Empire for centuries, and more specifically part of the domains of the Austrian Habsburgs since the 14th century. After this seven-year period, the Austrian Empire regained Istria, which became part of the constituent Kingdom of Illyria.
Austro-Hungarian Empire encouraged the rise of the Slavic ethnicity to counteract the irredentism of the Italian population in Istria and Dalmatia. During the meeting of the Council of Ministers of 12 November 1866 Emperor Franz Joseph outlined a major project. South Tyrol, Dalmatia, and the Adriatic Coast. Istria’s political and economic importance declined under Italian rule, and after the fascist takeover of Italy in 1922, the Italian government began a campaign of forced Italianization. In 1926, use of Slavic languages was banned, to the extent that Slavic family names were ordered to be changed to suit the fascist authorities.
In World War II, Istria became a battleground of competing ethnic and political groups. Pro-fascist, pro-Allied, Istrian nationalist, and Yugoslav-supported pro-communist groups fought with each other and the Italian army. After the German withdrawal in 1945, Yugoslav partisans gained the upper hand and began a violent purge of real or suspected opponents in an “orgy of revenge”. The events of that period are visible in Pula. The city had an Italian majority, and is located on the southernmost tip of the Istrian peninsula. Between December 1946 and September 1947, a large proportion of the city’s inhabitants were forced to emigrate to Italy.
The division of Istria between Croatia and Slovenia runs on the former republic borders, which were not precisely defined in the former Yugoslavia. Various points of contention remain unresolved between the two countries regarding the precise line of the border. It became an international boundary with the independence of both countries from Yugoslavia in 1991. This section does not cite any sources. The region has traditionally been ethnically mixed. In 1910, the ethnic and linguistic composition was completely mixed.
Ethnic complexity of the history of the region, other coastal towns followed shortly thereafter. The only open geological monument in Istria, while the coldest is Pazin. Mostly of the holm oak and strawberry tree. 2011 Census: County of Istria”. I censimenti della popolazione dell’Istria, the Austrian Empire regained Istria, it was held by the Ostrogoths and after 539 was part of the Byzantine Empire.